Professions Discussion (Imbalances/Ideas)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Favith, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Favith

Favith New Member

So, these forums are far too dull for my liking so I figured I'd try to get them used more. ;)

I've seen chat in the last couple of days about the imbalances in the money making professions. I'm sure it's been discussed by the staff and probably by many of the players in TS or in chat at some point. Let's put things down here so everyone can read and give their input, shall we?

Farming seems, by popular opinion (an opinion shared by several of the staff as far as I could tell), to be the best money maker. Granted, you need a safe or secluded place to establish a large farm, but once you have that you can apparently make more money than any of the other professions.

Mining seems insanely slow in terms of making money. Is that just me or is that the general consensus?

Guard seems decent given the mob spawn rate. I can see where it will never compare to farming if you've got the established farmland, but I think it does ok.

Fishing is far too boring for me to consider it as a viable money making source. Granted, I could macro/bot fishing and watch movies while I make money but that's not really something I want to do (and it probably isn't something the staff wants people doing either).

Merchant--I imagine this is like farming. If I read the profession right, you get money from killing animals? You'd need a large, safe animal pen area to make money this way but it's probably profitable if you have such a setup. Thoughts from those who have tried it?

I've done Mining/Fishing/Guard so far and Guard has made me the most money. What are other people's experiences?

If it's agreed that either Farming needs a nerf or that the other professions need a buff, how do you think it should be handled? Ultimately, the staff will decide for themselves what they think is best but I've been staff before (on other servers) and I always appreciated community input on major decisions.

One idea that others servers use (and I'm sure the staff has thought of it at some point) is an admin shop that buys things as well as sells them. If we agree that farming is lucrative in terms of the jobs plugin payout, then the admin shop doesn't buy farmable items for very much. Likewise, if we agree that mining isn't very productive in terms of the jobs plugin pay rates then we set a decent adminshop buy price for mined items (iron ore, lapis, redstone, etc). Same with mob drops--we let the admin shop pay players for spider eyes, bones and such at a rate which compensates for the poor pay they make as a Guard. This also allows everyone to make money by doing a little bit of everything while making the MOST money by doing the things their /jobs title pays them to do.
  2. phrstbrn

phrstbrn Administrator Owner Administrator

Right now it's tough. The economy is still very new, so it's difficult to say of some of these things are imbalanced.

Fishing is probably fine, but most of us agree it's probably too boring for most people to bother with. That said, there is no reason to remove it, so we'll just leave it alone.

Merchant is tough. They are a "jack of all trades, master of none". Their primary source of income should be from player shops. Unfortunately, right now, the server economy is brand new, people are concentrating on their ranks, so nobody wants to spend their money. Until we get more higher rank players and more players have "disposable" income, this job won't be profitable. That said, I predict this will become the most profitable job in about a month.

Income from Miner has always been unreliable. Ores are worth more than almost any other item on the server, but they're not exactly liquid. My suggestion for anybody going Miner is to find a PvPer who will buy ores in bulk. Unless you liquidate your stock, Miner is unlikely to be a huge money maker, 75% or more of your Miner income will be from selling ores. In the meantime, hold onto your ores, they'll be valuable.

I can't really comment on Guard. It used to be viable with darkrooms, but we've disallowed that. I'm not sure how they are now. I assume hunting Zombie Pigmen and their drops is the way to go. Gold is fairly valuable to some classes.

We're trying to avoid creating "money fountains", which is why we've avoided making admin shops to buy items.
  3. Favith

Favith New Member

I understand what you're saying but I think the point some folks are making is that certain professions (namely farming) are profitable in and of themselves.

Mining's income shouldn't rely on selling your ores. Anyone (guards, fisherman, farmers, merchants) can go mine ores and sell them. The complaint, I think, is that miners make so little from actually mining. Farmers make big money from farming alone, not from farming and then selling their crops.

I see what you're saying about merchant. I imagine that it will be a money maker once people are happy with the rank they've achieved. The problem right now is that it's hard for anyone other than farmers to make money since there is literally zero player economy. Like you've said, everyone is focused on ranks right now. The problem is, everyone BUT farmers will focused on ranks for a long time to come (money takes so long to make here). I doubt even a month from now this server will have a bustling player economy because people will still be working on getting their /sethome rank and possibly up to town ownership rank before they decide they can stop grinding levels. As new players join they too will stay out of the economy until they get /sethome at least (I think we can all agree that you need at least the 5k required to get /sethome before you even THINK of spending money on anything else).

Since a player driven economy is a long way off for the server as a whole it seems unfair to leave just one profession capable of making decent money in the interim.
  4. xhair

xhair Member Moderator

At the moment, farmer out performs every other job by miles. At the moment the majority of players in the top 10 are farmers.

Your logic with miner makes sense, even though I would prefer it not to be that way. Maybe buffing the amount that miners get from breaking stone slightly could help.

I agree that merchant doesn't need to be buffed until we see how it performs once players begin to use shops more often.

I don't think the solution is to nerf farmer to bring it to the same level as the other jobs as it is already quite difficult to earn ranks. I would atleast like if you could buff fisherman and guard. These two give far less money than farmer and will give far less than the other two jobs once the economy begins to shift off of the focus of ranks.
  5. RedWidow

RedWidow Member Administrator

I am currently looking into options that could "fix" fisherman to some degree. I understand like all of you that the focus is on ranks at this moment. From my standpoint, and I understand that I'm not a player but I have played on servers and made very good money with both fishing and merchant, that everyone is rankcentric right now. This should stabilize soon, I hope, once everyone attains at least the /home command and the ability to make a town, some may desire the use of craftbook as well.

Beyond this it's all gravy. Cosmetic and fun perks only, with the exception of the lwc's. As an admin on a pvp server, we don't really want to give too many lwc's because then what is the point of pvping and raiding if you have nothing you can steal. The purpose of ranks was to give something to work toward but our goal is to be a pvp server, ranks and the perks that go with them are just another aspect of the game.

We seek to build a core community of players that call this place home and come back each and every day for many months to come, not create a bunch of princes inside of a month and have them say "Well that was fun, let's find a new server to play on since we've done all there is do to here."
  6. xhair

xhair Member Moderator

So then what are your thoughts on the guard job red? Do you think it is fine where it is?
  7. RedWidow

Today tests have been done by all staff members to see where we're at with the numbers. From the results, it is clear that all jobs are not created equal. We will be making some adjustments very soon. I don't want to give too much away here but I am advising to stay tuned.
    auctioneer likes this.
  8. brunothestar

brunothestar New Member

Only allow shapeshifter to use iron sword.

Gold armor is really annoying to use, so maybe we could add a way so you can replace it with chain or something? I'm sure a lot of people will agree with me on this, if you're fooling around with your friends and you're hitting each other, your armor becomes significantly damaged and its really annoying.
  9. RedWidow

Thanks for that bruno but how that relates to jobs is beyond me.