Death Chests?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Andrew, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Andrew

Andrew New Member

I was on a pvp server a while back that used death chests. I think this server could benifit from those for a few reasons.
    the first would be that it prevents items from despawning quickly making it possible to get back to your location and pick up dropped items. (with a possible 15 minute despawn on the chest itself.)
    second is it makes it possible to quick loot all dropped items. allowing pvp to move smoother and quicker.
    If someone dies in the middle of an engagement instead of dropping their items everywhere it provides a nice and clean means for storing items untill someone picks it all up.

The deathchest plugin is old and at the moment it conflicts with chestshop but with some modification it can be used effectively.

on a side note those who get major lag from item drops wont have those problems when in pvp.

any thoughts?

(personally i just hate when i have an inventory full of stuff after mining and then die only to lose hours worth of work...)
  2. phrstbrn

phrstbrn Administrator Owner Administrator

Currently items despawn after 5 minutes of a chunk being loaded. In many cases, a 15 minute timer on a death chest will give the player less time to retrieve their items.

While I'm not strictly against it, I think there are other ways the admin team can effectively use their time than to implement, test, and balance something which is a marginal improvement to player experience, at best, and a regression in experience at worst. So I would probably file this under "maybe" but probably won't happen anytime soon.
  3. Carl007

Carl007 New Member

in the past I solo pvp'ed which mean after the kill you just want to get the loot and leave making it a chest would leave you for easy taking if you are not watching. For the server and the players on it I do not think this implemention is a good one too have
  4. Andrew

Andrew New Member

Phrstbrn i get that just a thought for something if you ever decide to change that.
    Carl quick loot fixes that. (there is a sign over a death chest that has the persons name and time of death on it. clicking that sign quick loots all the items in the chest.)
  5. RedWidow

RedWidow Member Administrator

Maybe I'm just not understanding what you're trying to say, but death chests are typically locked so that only the player that died can retrieve the items and then they unlock after a period of time. Since this is a pvp server and the spoils go to the victor what need is there for a death chest. The player still standing is entitled to the loot. They would have no need of a death chest as they are there at the scene and could immediately loot the items. Making them wait several minutes for what they should rightly be able to take immediately is not fair to them. I can see how this would be a nice feature for someone who is mining far from spawn and they get killed by a mob. Having to return to the scene of their death to retrieve items is sometimes a lengthy process and often fraught with danger itself. But as phrst said a timer in this case could work against the player not for them. And usually a death chest is a an all or nothing proposition, I am unsure if it would be possible to drop one in cases of mob death or accidental death and not drop one in cases of pvp death.